Archive for the ‘US Immigration’ Category:

3 Common Mistakes When Applying for Citizenship

The citizenship application process can be lengthy, and the people reviewing and processing them are going through hundreds and thousands of similar applications. As a result, any issues with your application or mistakes when applying for citizenship can drastically delay your naturalization or even prevent it from happening at all. What are some of the most common mistakes, and how can you avoid them?


Will Felony Charges Get You Deported?

Being charged with a felony can be frightening, and it’s even more concerning when you are subject to United States immigration laws. If you have received felony charges, it’s important to understand how it could impact your immigration status. Even if you have a green card, you may be subject to deportation if you violate US law. Here’s what you should know about felonies and deportation.


When to Apply for an Adjustment of Status

In the United States, the process of applying for a green card after you are already in the country is known as an adjustment of status or AOS. This process allows you to remain in the United States during the application process, even if your visa is about to expire, until the green card is issued. What should you know about the process of applying for an AOS?


What to Know About Family-Based Green Cards

While there are many different ways that people acquire green cards, one of the most popular options to become a permanent United States resident is family-based green cards. In fact, family-based green cards currently account for about 2/3 of all of the green cards that are given out every year. Current permanent residents and citizens can use these green cards as a way to unite with their family members. What should you know?


6 Common Reasons a Citizenship Application Is Denied

Completing your citizenship application can be very stressful, as there are many forms to complete and things to take care of. A single error can lead to processing delays or even an outright denial. To make things worse, you will typically not be told exactly what error or inconsistency led to your denial. What are some of the most common reasons your application might be denied?


Debunking 4 Myths About United States Citizenship

When you are looking to become a United States citizen, there are many different places that are happy to help you, like the Law Office of Elizabeth Anu Lawrence. However, unfortunately, there are also some places that are looking to take advantage of you by telling you various myths about United States citizenship. Here are some of the most common misconceptions and the truths behind them.


What Is a Notice to Appear?

notice to appear

A Notice to Appear is a type of document that can be delivered via mail or in person by an immigration officer or law enforcement official. If you receive one, it’s important to understand what it means and what the potential next steps are.


Tips to Avoid Immigration Scams

The immigration process can be stressful, lengthy, and confusing. As a result, some opportunistic criminals attempt immigration scams to take advantage of honest people like you. Here are some of our tips for avoiding these scams and protecting yourself and your family.


Follow These 4 Tips to Avoid Slowdowns in the Immigration Process

Closeup of official letter from US Citizenship and Immigration Services for becoming a citizen in the United States after going through the naturalization process. Part of American Flag in background.

If you are currently in the middle of the immigration process, you know that it is a lengthy and often complicated process. With visa wait times longer than desired, we’ve compiled a few tips to help make sure you steer clear of any immigration slowdowns and achieve your goal of US citizenship as soon as possible.


How to Choose the Right Immigration Lawyer

US Immigration Application And Consular Visa Interview

Legally speaking, no one is required to work with an immigration lawyer in order to become a United States citizen. However, it can certainly make life a lot easier as you embark on one of the largest moves in your life. What traits should you seek out as you search for the ideal immigration lawyer to represent you along this journey?