Understanding the Fiancé Visa

If your marriage is on the horizon and either you or your fiancé is not a US citizen, it’s time to start looking into acquiring a fiancé visa.  Often known as a K-1 visa, obtaining a fiancé visa can be a little daunting if you’re unfamiliar with the process. What should you know about fiancé visas?

What is a Fiancé Visa?

Fiancé visas are a specific type of visa issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to non-US citizens with intention to marry a US resident. The main advantage of obtaining a fiancé visa is that the non-citizen partner is permitted to enter the United States on the basis that they will marry within 90 days. After marriage, the K-1 visa recipient is then eligible to apply for permanent United States residence.

Qualifying for a Fiancé Visa

There are a hand full of requirements that both partners must meet in order to qualify for a fiancé visa:

  • One of the partners must already be a US citizen.
  • The marriage must take place within 90 days of qualifying.
  • Both partners must be legally eligible to marry each other.
  • Income requirements must be met to confirm that life after marriage is financially feasible.
  • Both partners must have physically met at least once within the previous two years.

Fiancé Visa vs Marriage Green Card

If your fiancé is a citizen outside of the United States, there are multiple ways they can go about legally becoming a US resident. Besides obtaining a K-1 visa, you also have the option of marrying outside of the United States. From there, the US citizen partner will be able to sponsor their new spouse for a green card.

Both of these options have their pros and cons. Ultimately, you will want to base your choice around where you would prefer to marry, the timeframe for moving to the United States and cost. While green card processing speeds are improving, K-1 visas generally take less time to be reviewed and approved.

Elizabeth Anu Law Can Help You Obtain Your Fiancé Visa

If you are uncertain how to proceed with the K-1 visa process, please contact the Law Office of Elizabeth Anu Lawrence, LLC on telephone number 443.352.3201. Skype and telephone consultation are both available to clients.

Contact Us

    Law Office of Elizabeth Anu Lawrence, LLC.
  • Address: 90 Painters Mill Road Suite 201 Owings Mills, Maryland 21117
  • Phone: (443) 352-3201

  • Email: info@elawrencelaw.com

Follow Us